Sunday, February 3, 2008

Response to "What Do You Do..."

A. What Do You Do with a Tail Like This?
B: Page, Robin
C. Steven Jenkins
D. Houghton Mifflin Company Boston
E. Picture Book, Realistic Fiction
F Age group k-3


I love how the book has further descriptions of the animals in the back of the book! I love when small picture books can be so educational to children, even though they just think that they are reading a cool, funny book.
I think one of my favorite illustrations in the book was the one of the skunk! It was so cute and it look so life like with the tail done the way that it was. Also the Bush Baby was really really cute!
I loved how at first glance you did not necessarily know what the animal was until you turned the page and then it told something about the animal so that they can guess what animal it was before looking at what it actually was. I think the text goes so well along with the illustrations and keeps the reader very engaged. It gives just a tidbit of information of the animal a look at the body part that is going to be described and then it is revealed on the next page along with an interesting fact about the animal and how they use that part of the body.
I loved how it uses cut-paper collage to illustrate the animals it gives it it a more rich image of the animals in a unique way. I think it can make them look more realistic vs using just water color or oil paints. I also really enjoyed how the animals were just placed all over the page and not just put in a line or in a very stoic placement. It would keep the children engaged because its not very predictable as to where the animals are going to be placed on the page. I think this book is very appropriate for the age group that it targets and would keep their attention very easily. Its very easy to see how it was a awarded the Caldecott Honor!
For me there was nothing about the book/illustrations that I did not like. I thought it was wonderful, as it would appear from what I wrote above. It was very engaging and the illustrations were fantastic!
This is a fantastic picture book and I would never hesitate to use it in my classroom!

No comments: