Sunday, February 3, 2008

Response to the picture book "Moses"

A. Moses:When Harriet Tubman Led Her People To Freedom
B. Weatherford, Carole Boston
C. Nelson, Kadir
D. Hyperion Books for Children
E. Picture Book, Realistic Fiction
F. Ages 4-6


I was simply blown away by the illustrations that were in this book. They were breath taking! I believe that it was done with oil paints, which make for such a rich illustration and it can appear very realistic. The illustrations make the book, not that the text was not inspiring but the painting...
Another thing that I loved about this book was how the text would flow across the page. I like how when God talked to Harriet that the text was different and it would always offer advice to her and help her on her journey to a free land.
I believe that the text alone would hold the readers attention especially since the way the text would flow around the pages and even encircling Harriet on the one page. The text, on a more adult level is very inspiring, the book says that its for 5-8 year olds but I am not sure if they would be able to get all the truths out the story. It is a pretty heavy topic for kids to grasp and understand but I think they would be able to get a lot of good information out of the story! I think that they would really be able to appreciate the pictures and see them for what they are worth even though they might not fully understand what is being said in the story.
The art in the story is extremely accessible and very interesting, at the very least! I think that children would appreciate the art work but I am not sure that they would fully understand and appreciate the art work. If the children did not fully understand the story I think that they would be able understand more through the pictures and be able to know what it is talking about, perhaps.
I think that the medium that was used was the best one that would have been chosen for this book. It is a heavy topic that is something that is very realistic in our history and I do not think that using something other than a realistic medium would be able to convey was well as what was done.
I did not really dislike anything about this book, the only thing that I would have liked to have seen would have perhaps been the pictures being a bit lighter so that you could enjoy the details of the paintings. I do understand that it is a heavy topic and the pictures being darker makes it more realistic for what is happening in the text.
Over all I loved this book and absolutely thought it deserved all of the recognition and awards it got!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed the illustrations as well! I also think that the 5 - 8 age range may be a little young for such strong subjects.